Saturday, May 30, 2015

Fitness on the sands

Anita (centre) trains peopel at Marina. Photos: Dominic Raj
Anita (centre) trains peopel at Marina

Anitha trains people for long-distance runs, at the Marina. We meet the celebrity fitness trainer.

To complete a marathon one needs strength and stamina and the will to conquer self-doubt. And these three don’t come easy. After months of practice and rigorous training, the body and the mind get conditioned and ready to take the challenge. 

Members of Reebok Running Squad, Light House, meet every weekend to ensure they are ready for the task. Anitha R., a celebrity trainer heading the team, ensures all individual needs are met.“On Saturdays, we do strength training and work on the core muscles. On Sundays, we do long runs,” says Anitha.

“When I started almost a year ago, no one knew about the group. I started talking to people who were regular to the beach and told them about the training. After a few people joined, word spread and now we have 220 members. Forty of them are active.” People of all groups gather behind the Gandhi statue at 5.30 a.m. and the regimen starts. “I focus on the beginners who want to run a marathon. I assess their strengths and weaknesses and design a plan accordingly. They train with me during the weekends and run by themselves during the week. Of course, I give them homework,” she says.

Since Marina is a convenient location, people from across the city gather here. Swathi Subramanian comes from Chetpet and she has no problem with it. “There is nothing like running on the beach. I could hardly complete 5 kilometres in the begining. Now I am better. I recently finished a half marathon and am aiming to complete a full marathon,” says Swathi. 


Anitha, a Besant Nagar resident, trains all across the city including some well-known celebrities. Fitness has always been her first love. “I have been training for years. I train corporate employees for marathons. I have also worked with hearing-impaired runners for the Pinkathaon. I want to work more with people with disabilities, for long runs.” For details, call 9176767376.

No comments:

Post a Comment